Quad Tree uses a distribution of points to subdivide a square into smaller squares depending on the density of points.
Source Distribution - Select a Distribution Type.
Size - Set the dimensions of the source square [x,y].
Max. Iterations - The maximum number of times to attempt to subdivide the square.
- Create a Quad Tree Shape.
- Set the Source Distribution to Random.
- Reduce the Count to 5.
- Create a Shape.
- Give it a different color (use the Fill tab in the Attribute Editor).
- With the Shape selected, Option/Alt + click the Duplicator icon in the Shelf.
- Set the Distribution type on the Duplicator to Sub Mesh.
- Connect the Quad Tree to the Input Shape of the Duplicators Sub Mesh Distribution.
- Adjust the Seed on the Quad Tree to adjust the subdivision.
You can extend this idea by using other Compositions in place of the Shape. There's an example here - https://www.instagram.com/p/B3H8j9THWpz/